If you recall a couple week’s ago I mentioned having a baking disaster involving a banana bread. Yeah, I was pretty pissed off…however I decided to give my bananas a second chance, this time in the form of banana cupcakes (cupcakes never let me down!).
I didn’t have any banana cupcake recipes in my good ole recipe box so I did a little searching online. I finally settled on making Gina’s Banana Cupcakes which I found on the Food Network’s website and boy, I’m so glad I chose to go with this one. This cupcake was not only very flavorful but it was moist as well…I also like that it makes only 12 cupcakes and not 24, in my little household of three, 12 cupcakes is more manageable than 24.
I followed the cupcake recipe to a tee with the exception of omitting the walnuts. Don’t get me wrong, I love walnuts but my little household of three also happen to be picky eaters. I opted to use my own cream cheese frosting instead of the molasses frosting suggested on the website. Here is the recipe I used:
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c sour cream
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
-Recipe adapted from Gina’s Banana Cupcakes
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 and 1/2 – 2 c confectioners sugar (adjust to your level of sweetness and/or how stiff you need the frosting to be)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I suggest you start with 1/4 tsp first, I prefer a more cinnamon-y taste)
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time and gently beat in (I used the slowest setting on my hand mixer). Add the flour mixture and mix until fully combined (I did this part by hand to avoid over mixing). Lastly, add the mashed bananas.
- Fill liners 3/4 of the way with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the oven and let cool.
- Beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon, mix until combined. Slowly incorporate the confectioners sugar and beat for a few minutes. Generously frost your cupcakes and enjoy!
I am definitely adding this recipe to my collection because it is truly one delicious cupcake.
I have bananas going bad weekly!
Does anyone have a great banana recipe they’d like to share?