I don’t know about all of you but it feels like Easter came way too quick this year! I’m so not ready for it and Easter happens to be one of my favorite holidays (Halloween and Christmas are the others), mainly because I love all things rabbit…well, except rabbit stew.
Truth be told, I barely decorated my home for Easter this year!
My love for rabbits started when I was a little girl, my Dad bought me a stuffed animal that was a rabbit, I loved that thing so much; when I was a teenager, I gave the okay to my Mom to throw it out, worst mistake ever! (sorry bunny)
My Dad also bought me two live rabbits when I was young, they were white and fluffy with hot pink eyes, they pooped everywhere but I adored them so much. Ever since then I’ve always been
into infatuated with rabbits.
I’ve done a little Easter baking this past week and I hope to share my pictures with you in the next couple of days. In the meantime, here are some other Easter recipes that I am crazy about:
- I’ve really been into making sugar cookies lately and I’m trying to master working with royal icing, its nerve-wracking for me! Anyhoo, I am particularly loving these super cute bunny cookies made by Bridget over at bakeat350.blogspot.com! Aren’t they lovely?
- These cake pops by Bakerella are amazing. The ears are jordan almonds for crying out loud and check out the other details! I hope to master cake pops like her one day. Love them!
- I am obsessed with this cake featured on The Cake Blog…the blue color is gorgeous, the contrast of the speckling is beautiful and the eggs on top are, well, the icing on the cake! Obsessed, I tell you…this is on my “baking to-do” list (even if its after Easter).
- I adore these little cupcakes I found on Purple Chocolat Home! This is something my daughter would love to help me with…too cute.
- If there is no time to crank out intricate cookies, cakes and cupcakes, there is always time to make rice krispy treats and who doesn’t love a soft, chewy, marshmallowy rice krispy treat!? Well, my daughter for one but that’s another story. I, on the other hand, looove rice krispy treats and I actually got to make some this past weekend for my niece’s baby shower, who also happens to love them (will post pics soon). I really like the way Glorious Treats dressed hers up, this would look really nice on a Spring dessert table or even for a girls birthday party.
- And if in case you are looking for something savory instead of sweet, check out these cheese carrots! This is a very neat idea, they look so real too.
I hope you’ve enjoyed these recipes as much as I have.
What are you cooking up for Easter? I’d love to know.
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Here are a few things that are on my mind today…
- I know I haven’t posted in over a week but I’ve been in a little bit of a baking rut. First it started with my camera, not being able to upload any pictures to my computer really bummed me out. I finally figured that out so I was ready to get my baking on but then a baking disaster occurred . Last week I was in the mood for something sweet with rum as an ingredient, which is strange because I am not a rum drinker! Anyhoo, I had a few bananas that were past the pretty stage (you know what I’m talking about) and I really hate throwing food out so I decided to make a banana bread with a little rum twist to it. I had the hubby buy me some dark rum and I was all set…I get all my ingredients out, turn on the radio and off I went into my own little baking world. I’m not sure if it was all the dancing I was doing or what but somehow I managed to use baking powder instead of baking soda (disaster #1). And to make matters worse, I made a bad judgement call and took out the banana bread a little too early (disaster #2). I let it cool for several hours before eagerly slicing into it only to discover the middle was not cooked all the way…I was so upset….so much for not throwing food out. That really put me into a funk and I hung up my apron for a few days. Does anyone have any baking disasters they’d like to share??
- Speaking of cameras, I’ve always been into photography and I’ve purchased some pretty nice cameras throughout the years but I’ve only taken pictures in the “auto” setting. It wasn’t until recently that I’ve started reading up on the other settings my camera has to offer. Aperture priority….what the heck is that?! During my brief baking hiatus I kept myself busy by reading countless websites and blogs regarding photography and camera settings. All of them were quite helpful but there was one blog in particular who really broke it down in plain English and it finally started making sense to me. I’m currently shooting with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS which I bought in 2006 (maybe its time for an upgrade) and this is the first time that I’ve taken pictures not using the “auto” setting (see practice shot below, aperture was set at 2.7 if I remember correctly). I’m so excited to be learning more about photography and how to take decent pictures!
- This picture brings me into my next thought – Nielsen Massey Pure Vanilla Extract! My vanilla has finally gotten an upgrade, I’ve always used pure vanilla extract from the supermarket but I’ve been reading so much about this good quality vanilla that I decided to just take the plunge already…I haven’t used it yet but I can’t wait to try it!
- Lastly, I enrolled in a Wilton decorating course…I had to take course 1 as a prerequisite for the fondant and gum paste course I really want to take. This past weekend we had to bring in a cake (I used box mix, don’t tell anyone) and decorate it with some of the techniques the instructor has shown us thus far. I’ll be honest, a lot of what we are covering I learned in my pastry arts class in high school but I’m still picking up a couple new tricks here and there which is always nice. However I’m really anxious to start learning about fondant next month!
Well, I went on and on…I think that is enough for one day! I’ll leave you with this cute little egg holder I found at Target over the weekend…isn’t he adorable?
This is my first post and I just wanted to say HI (is anyone out there?)…I’m new to the blogging world and have so much to learn but I’m excited to be doing so.
I was hoping to have a more exciting post than this but the batteries in my camera decided to die today (grrr)…hopefully in the next couple days I can post my first sugary concoction. I have dulce de leche on my mind…need I say more?